Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Beautiful Creatures.

Last week, I finished a book series that I absolutely adored. 

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. That was some brilliant crime writing and such a captivating story. While the first book was amazing, the second I think was my favorite. The third, obvio, was really good but it went really deep and took a lot of concentrating to get through. However, I do feel satisfied even though it's over, and that's a rare feeling. Usually I feel sad, lost and lonely.

Last Thursday, a student at the dance studio where I work brought me a series to read: Beautiful Creatures. I started reading it on Sunday and am almost done with the first book. It's a really easy read and actually really captivating. Naturally, it has my three vices: magic, tragic love and high school.  

But I think the writing goes a little deeper in places. Reading a chapter (one of many, I stayed up way too late!), it seemed that the writers touched on a subject greater then two teenagers and their forbidden love (and magic, of course). The town in which this story is set is deeply afraid and prejudiced against anyone and anything "different." Maybe it's just where our society is at the moment but I thought this was a really interesting theme of the book. These towns people will go to any length to force a new person, someone who makes them uncomfortable, from their town. 

I'm just getting into the book but I'm hoping to start noticing more deeper themes. I think it has potential. When I'm finished, which I project will be in a month if  spend a week on each book, I'll let you know!

Has anyone read this series?

No comments:

Post a Comment