Thursday, October 4, 2012

Weekly Weigh In: Is wheat bad for you?

This week, an interesting article was brought to my attention about something I consume on the daily: wheat. 

[I want to note that I'm not going to talk about gluten-free diets or celiac disease. This is something new.]

Dr. Williams Davis is a cardiologist and author of the blog and the book Wheat Belly. We usually see whole wheat and we think "great this is good for us!" but according to Dr. Williams, it's not. He says that there is a new protein called glaidin. 
Now what the heck is a gliadin? I don't know about you guys, but when someone launches into the scientific side of food, I kind of tune out. But, for the sake of this blog post and my health (as I'm trying to lose and maintain a desired weight...and my diet consists of a lot of grains), I thought I'd give it a shot.
I spent a few minute looking up gliadin on Wiki and reading some other articles from Dr. Williams on his blog. I have gathered that gliadins have similar properties as opiates and can cause appitite increase. I think this is slightly alarming because so much of our diets include wheat. If Dr. Williams is onto something, I wonder what our society could do about it.
In the interview/article, Dr. Williams points out that not all wheat is 'bad' for you. He says "the wheat we eat these days isn't the wheat your grandma had." The wheat we see now in our breads, cereals and pastas is a wheat that was made during the 60's and 70's, and if I'm correct, it's a GMO wheat. Alarming, no?

Wheat.
Don't you think we could adjust our wheat crops to be more like the good, ol'fashion stuff? We could, says Dr. Williams, but it's not really that feisable. 'Real' wheat, as I'm going to call it, yeilds less per acre then the other stuff. So we can all see the problems in this.
So here are my questions: does this link up with all the other conerns rising now-a-days with GMO's, Monsanto seed, fertilizer, chemicals, etc? It would make sense, wouldn't it?
To me, it seems like we've made this wheat, something that grows fast and yeilds a good size crop. It looked great at first, but eventually the health effects start showing their face. Maybe that's why there has been an increasing number of gluten diets and compagns against wheat. Maybe it wasn't just a fad after all.
I've been toying with the idea of trying a gluten free diet, just because I know gluten problems run in my family and I've noticed over the past couple years that I feel strange after eating but have yet to whittle down to what it is. I guess the hard part would be to ween myself off bread...and pasta...and tortillas...and cereal...and cake...and flour...oh my goodness, that sounds hard!
But maybe it's worth it. This is def worth some more investigation!
What are your thoughts on gliadins and the 'new' wheat?
Have you tried gluten free before? What results did you see?
Have you heard of this problem before?

3 comments:

  1. This is defiantly interesting. I've never heard of this, but something I'd like to learn more about. It's sad that the quality of our food is going down, but I think that comes down to the mighty dollar and people trying to compete & the chemicals is the way to go. Producing food faster but with much less quality. It would be hard to let go of all the breads & pastas though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everytime I see that picture of you with the art work I die laughing!

    BTW, Do you own a juicer? I know your on a health kick and I've been juicing veggies and fruit to make 100% healthly juice that I drink instead of eating a meal. I've lost a little weight and can feel the difference in how I function during the day. It is truly sad that there are so many things that we lead to believe are good for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girrrrl don't even get me started on Monsanto and GMOs! Now I am really curious about this "new" wheat! I am under the impression that if a product is labeled organic it cannot contain any GMOs, but I never really thought about wheat being an issue - I've mainly focused on corn and soy beans. Is the problem with this new wheat solely based on it being genetically modified? I have several friends who have started gluten-free diets to try and remedy an assortment of ailments, and it has really helped if not totally cured the issue. I have considered trying gluten-free (as absolutely horrible it will be to give up sandwiches, pizza and beer) for health reasons and this info definitely makes me want to do a little more research. Great post, love the variety of your content!

    ReplyDelete