Thursday, May 17, 2012

New Fish On The Block.

In attempts to eat better,
Jacob and I are embracing fish as our new chicken.
Well, we're starting to at least.
So far, I think we've mastered the regular, baked,
grilled,
pan fried and
seared filet of Tilapia.
Last night, I wanted to try something new!!



4 Six ounce Tilapia steaks I used two really BIG pieces of fish, seemed to work out good!
1/2 cup mayo
2 eggs
2 tbl fresh dill I just diced up a good chunk, I didn't measure it.
1 tbl Dijon mustard
3/4 cup bread crumbs
oil

Step 1: Bake the fish at 400 for 10-15 minutes. It will flake when it's done. I topped mine with with a splash of olive oil and some salt and pepper.

Step 2: I didn't have any bread crumbs on hand, so I decided to make some! I tore up about two and a half slices of whole wheat bread on a cookie sheet then toasted it in the oven till it was dark brown. Then I put the toast, salt, pepper and some Old Bay seasoning into my *new* food processor! 

Ain't she purdy?!

Step 3: Once the fish is done, flake it and then I stuck it in the freezer for about 5 minutes to cool. 

Step 4: While the fish is cooling, mix together the mayo, dill, eggs and mustard in a bowl. Once the fish is cool, fold in the mayo mixture with the bread crumbs. I added a little more crumbs then the recipe called for, I found the mixture to be a little runny with just 3/4 cups. Add until you are confident with the mixture.



Step 5: Form the mixture into patty's. Let the patty's cool in the freezer for 5 minutes.


Step 6: Fry the patty's in canola oil until brown and crispy! 



I served mine with couscous and a salad. Let me just tell YOU, they were absolutely delicious!! I will totally make them again.


It was easy, quick and totes worth it!



4 comments:

  1. Yum! I forget there are so many ways to eat fish. I'm a vegetarian mostly, but now and then I do like having some fish in my diet -- and I won't ever object to fried fish cakes like those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today in Food Preservation class we had a guy in from the Sea-Grant research station in Astoria talking about and demonstrating the fileting and canning of Tuna and other oily fish (Salmon, Black Cod, Herring etc). Amazing to watch the reduction of a 15 pound fish to several loins and a pile of bits..............

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to incorporate more fish into our diet too - this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete