Friday, November 9, 2012

Immigration.

Recently, I had an experience that made me think twice about judging people.

I went to the Canadian boarder to apply for my work permit. In order to get my work permit, I have to supply proof that Jake and I are in a common law marriage (which means we've been living together/in a relationship for at least one year). We consulted an immigration company and thought we were prepared.
Source.

As I stood in front of that immigration officer. I felt a lot of weird feelings. He was only a little older then me (that or in really good shape). He kept looking at me in the eyes and I felt like he was staring into my soul. Even though I obviously wasn't doing anything wrong, I felt like I was trying to hide a brick of heroine under my jacket or smuggling kidnapped children in the trunk of my car. He was sitting there, looking at what I could gather of my life on paper and straight up judging me.

It was the strangest sensation, trying to prove you're who you are to a complete stranger. I stood there wondering if I had enough proof that I am who I am and that Jake and I's relationship is the real deal.

In the end, I did not get approved. The officer said there wasn't enough proof. It was oddly devastating.

Part of me wanted to ask him "do I look threatening? What kind of fraud do you think I'm committing here?" But I didn't. I have a bad habit of saying shit like that and getting myself into trouble.

I cried as soon as we got in the car.

Now, a few days later, as I'm thinking about it, I know I got off easily. I think about all the people who are truly going through hard times getting into Canada, America or any other country with heightened security. I think about all the people who are coming over country boarders illegally, who are facing harder tasks then I am.

It put a lot of things into perspective.

1 comment:

  1. 2 things...............first a brick of heroine is odd, really tightly compressed characters from a Jane Austen novel, Little Women scrunched up tight together? You must mean heroin and second, people who pay rent for a room in your house are boarders, edges to countries are borders.
    Hope it goes well tomorrow? Or whenever you try again.

    ReplyDelete