Friday, June 29, 2012

Summer Eatin'

I don't know about you but when the heat hits,
all I want to eat is something cold.
No soups, no pastas, no melted sandwiches.
It's too hot, yo!

So my summer eatin' routine? 
Wonderful, chilled, delicious salads!!

The Wedge.

The wedge salad is always a great way to go.
I enjoy them because they can be dressed nicely on a plate,
mostly because there's no tossing or mixing all the salad
fixings together, you just cut a wedge of lettuce and sprinkle, drizzle
and dash everything on top!
Traditional wedge salads are made with Iceberg lettuce...
But lets be real, there's nothing in Iceberg lettuce so...Romaine is way better.
Click on the caption for recipe ideas courtesy of EatingWell.com.

Panzanella.

Have I ever told you how much I love Panzanella salads??
I made my first one last year for my sister's Bridal Shower.
They are so simple and fresh and lovely.
Fresh tomatoes, lovely baked croutons, fresh basil, yummo!
The recipe is easy, just look at the picture!
I like to make variations on the Panzanella, too!
Add chucks on fresh mozzarella and red, orange and yellow peppers
for a nice "Italian" feel.
Spice it up with by baking the croutons in Cajun or Jerk seasoning.
Add feta cheese for a Greek feeling!
These salads are very versatile.

Spinach with Fruits.

Lastly, I love summer salads because you can incorporate
fruit in!
One of my favorites is the above picture.
The base of spinach with added berries, maybe some toasted
nuts and throw on some goat cheese!
Mix with a light, maybe citrus dressing and BAM!
Delicious summer eatin'!
Adding fruit to a salad is a great way to mix it up.
It's healthy and different!
because you can utilize the grill while diverting off the
hotdogs and hamburger track!

What are some of your summer salad faves??




2 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy!

    From Paris with love!
    Kristina recently posted.. My Red Carpet in Cannes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, yum, yum! I love salads on hot days...especially a mozzarella, basil and tomato combo. That wedge salad is such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete