Sunday, July 22, 2012

Girls Life.


This morning, Jacob and I had the task of finding a magazine for his sister for her birthday. For her 30th 7th birthday. It's hard trying to find a gift for a sassy, independent, smart 7 year old without trapping her in childhood or propelling her into teen life. 

It was difficult. After Googling "best magazines for a 7 year old," we obtained a list that was interesting to read. It was between wholesome, all-American goodness and fashionista wanna-be's. Neither fit her. 

Eventually we found one that dabbled in a little of both but upheld some childhood values but what I kept thinking about were those little girls who do read CosmoGirl or ElleGirl way to young. 

CosmoGirl

Do you think exposing young girls to media like this at a young age really matters? Is there a problem there?

I remember what I was a tween and I would see my friends reading these magazines or see them on the rack at the store, I wanted that so badly! I wanted to be just like the girls on the cover. But mom wouldn't get them. 

In retrospect, I'm glad she didn't. I think that, if exposed at a young age, these magazines can be toxic to young girls. 

What do you think??


1 comment:

  1. There were so many magazine I couldn't get for awhile. My friends all had Seventeen in 7th and 8th grade and I didn't. My mom would ask, "are you 17 yet?" Even when I turned 17 she didn't want me reading it! I definitely think not being able to be exposed to a lot kept me innocent longer and more well-behaved than a lot of other girls.

    ReplyDelete